Scientific and technical activity
The main directions of scientific and technical activity of the Corporation:
- Shaping the appearance of the technical basis of the aerospace defence system of the Russian Federation in order to solve problems of ensuring Russia's military security in the aerospace sphere;
- Creating systems and complexes of engagement and destruction and suppression of anti-aircraft, anti-missile and anti-space defence, as well as weapons complexes based on new physics principles;
- Developing airborne, ground-, space-based and ship-mounted radar facilities (systems);
- Developing promising means (complexes) for missile attack warning and outer space control systems;
- Developing and further modernizing Automated Control System aircraft and air defence control systems;
- Developing of promising means of servicing, field repair and disposal of AD weapons and military equipment (aerospace defence);
- Creating and modernizing ground-based equipment of the GLONASS system users and frequency and timing support means;
- Improving the federal system of reconnaissance and control of the airspace of the Russian Federation, modernizing the Unified Air Traffic Management System in the Russian Federation;
- Identifying and implementing scientific, technical and technological development of the Corporation and its subsidiaries;
- Developing research and production potential of the Corporation and assessing feasibility of the state armament program tasks and the state defence orders in the field of developing armaments, military and special equipment;
- Planning and implementing the Corporation’s investment and innovation activities.
Priority of the directions of scientific and technical activity is determined by their importance and is confirmed by decisions (decrees, orders, resolutions) adopted at the level of the President and the Government of the Russian Federation.
Development of scientific human resources and interaction with universities
More than 16.5 thousand specialists participate in scientific and technical activity – developers and scientific and technical workers of the Corporation and its subsidiaries. 1068 employees hold a PhD degree, 175 specialists – Dr. habil.
In order to strengthen and increase human resources, the Corporation and its subsidiaries constantly interact with higher education institutions on the issues of training, retraining and advanced training of personnel in conditions of scientific and educational institutions.
The Corporation and its enterprises actively interact with 52 flagship universities with 32 specialized departments. As of December 2016, 296 students were enrolled in post-graduate programs, 132 of them - in the target post-graduate studies of the Corporation. Last year, 47 students completed the postgraduate course, 19 of them through target education.
One of the forms of attracting highly qualified young specialists is a basic departments senior students internship in the Corporation. In 2016 more than 2,800 students were interned for Corporation's enterprises, while 546 graduates of partner universities were employed at the Corporation's enterprises.
In addition, in 2015, 1981 secondary professional educational students took part in work experience internships; 255 of them were employed. In 2015, at the expense of the Corporation’s own funds, 144 specialists and 93 workers and employees passed targeted training in higher education programs.
Development of cooperation with universities was carried out in the following key areas:
- implementation of joint research and development, including those at the expense of the Corporation’s own funds (in 2016, research and development was carried out under 36 contracts);
- joint work in the framework of technological platforms;
- Corporation’s participation in collegiate management bodies and advisory bodies of universities (scientists, dissertational councils and others);
- participation of HEIs in collegiate governing bodies and advisory bodies of subsidiaries (scientific, technical and coordination councils, other bodies);
- participation in teaching activities in universities (in 2016, 265 specialists of the Corporation participated in student training).
Main partner universities of the Corporation for joint scientific work are: Bauman Moscow State Technical University (BMSTU), Moscow Institute for Physics and Technology, Moscow Technological University (MIREA), Baltic State Technical University "Voenmeh" D.F.Ustinov, MAI, Ural Federal University B.N.Yeltsin, Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University and other leading regional universities of the country.
Scientific and Technical Council
The Scientific and Technical Council (STC) of the Corporation is established and operates on an ongoing basis to increase effectiveness of scientific and technical activities.
The most important directions of the STC:
- consideration of pressing scientific and technical problems of the creation of priority models of weapons, military and special equipment for AD and ballistic missile defence systems (aerospace defence);
- development of recommendations to the management of the Corporation on strategic issues in development of scientific, technical, production and technological potentials, scientific, technical and innovative activities, as well as in the development and production of science-intensive products;
- interaction in prime areas of activity with the Russian Academy of Sciences, scientific organizations and scientific and technical councils of organizations, ministries and departments.
The Corporation is the primary organization that ensures functioning of the section "System of aerospace defence of the RF" of the STC of the Military Industrial Complex of the Russian Federation and the Council of General (Lead) Designers for the development of the aerospace defence system of the Russian Federation and its components (systems).